In this post I will talk about how to block unwanted user registration (spammers) to a Social Networking Elgg.
We recently, some intrusions of spammers to one of our sites in Elgg. The first thing we did was upgrade to the latest version of Elgg, after seeing the problem persists, look if there was any solution in the community and we found the plugin "Log Spam Filter".
This plugin allows us to block registrations using external services or ip block emails as " stopforumspam "or" fassim ". You can also use an internal blacklist social network: domains or emails, which are checked when the user registers. You can configure some of these solutions individually or all at once.
We will install and explain some of these features.
You can download this plugin from the community of the following location: http:/
This plugin requires:
- plugin " plugin IP address tracker , "which captures the ip registered user.
- be enabled CURL
- CRON be enabled, for cleaning the cache of ip.
After downloading and decompressing both mod plugins folder, we must activate the 2 plugins.
1. Let the administration section of Elgg:
2. After the administration section of tools:
3. We will activate the plugins:
4. After enabling both plugins, plugin must set the login spam filter.
5. You can enable and Fassim Stopforumspam, the latter requires an API key, you get it from: http:/
The 5 validations can be enabled or disabled, the order of checks is as follows:
- Check the user's IP against a blacklist of IP that is cached. (The cache is cleaned 1 time a week).
- If false, it checks the user's email domain to the blacklist of domain emails.
- If false, the email is checked against the blacklist of emails.
- If false, is checked against the external service stopforumspam.com
- If false, is checked against the external service fassim.com
As a last step, we can do to a spammer already registered user on the network. We go to the profile of the deletion and report you as spammer.
Elgg Happy Coding.